Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Baptism Birthday

Yesterday, March 29th, was Isaac's baptism birthday. I don't think I will ever get used to how quickly time is going. Those older and wiser than myself say that it goes faster and faster the older you get, and I am definitely finding that to be true. It makes me want to be less busy so we can really take the time to slow down...to appreciate and get the most out of every moment. Last year for Isaac's baptism, I thought it would be neat to make a cake similar to the one that was made for my baptism 30 years ago. My grandma still had the same pan that was used to make my cake, so we made Isaac an identical one...except his had brown and blue frosting of course...pink would have been a bit silly. But, if we should ever have a girl, you can be sure that her cake will be decorated exactly like mine was :-) I don't know why, but I enjoy replicating the past and carrying on tradition. So, I also wanted to get a picture of us, just as one had been taken for my baptism. When making the collage, I realized I don't have the picture scanned of me with my parents...only my sponsors...but you get the idea. :) Isaac is lying on the same afghan that I was. My mom crocheted the afghan, and if I remember correctly, it was the very first thing she ever crocheted. Isaac is wearing the gown that Brian's grandfather, father, sister and himself wore, so that was very special, as well! Tradition...a wonderful, meaningful thing!























Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw! Nikki, I absolutely love the cake idea. How special for your whole family! I'm sure that it will be passed on for many generations! What a very cool family tradition.

di said...

love this, Nikki. so meaningful.

di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.